Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year Resolutions

Happy (late) New Year, writers and artists!  I am so sorry I haven't posted anything for a little over a month but I have been super busy getting ready for the holidays and I just moved. 

First, I must admit that I have done very little work on my book.  It was literally, 100 words here, a 100 words there, not at all what I was hoping. 

When I first began writing my novel, Galaxy Connectors, in June, I had no idea how it would turn out.  When I was younger, I had started millions of stories, which either turned out just a few pages long, or were left unfinished.  This book I thought would turn out the same.  I had no estimated word count and barely even a plot line.  I only had a brief character sketch, and an outline.  Then, I just wrote and let my fingers glide across the keys.

And I wrote.  One word at a time.  Soon, my word count reached 1,000, then 5,000, then 10,000.

Now, my book has made it to 34,000 words and counting.  At the halfway point in my first draft, I have felt a sense of accomplishment.  I couldn't just stop now.  NaNoWriMo helped a lot in this whole process as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is, set goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them.  Get yourself involved with other writers who share in your dream and participate in as many writing events as you can commit to.

Set a New Year Resolution to finish your first draft, make it to a certain word count goal, or finish editing a certain part in your book.

My New Year Resolution is to finish writing my book.  Is it yours?

- Mickayla

PS - I am trying to get more followers, so if you like my blog, please tell your writing buddies about me!  Thank you so much :)