Saturday, June 6, 2015

6 Tips to Make Your Reader Not Put Your Book Down - Part 2

...Now for Part 2 of the my 6 tips.  Enjoy!
 

4. Introduce unanswered questions at the beginning of the story, but don't answer them until the end.  The questions can be connected to your main plot or a side plot, you just want to make the reader want to find the answers to the questions.  Try to keep bringing them up throughout the book, and even give clues for the reader to piece together.  You want the reader to have little mysteries to think about when they aren't reading the book.  That will make them want to come back and read the book ASAP.

5. Step back and look at your book from the reader's point of view.  This can help you know what you still need to put in your book to make it more exciting.  If you haven't noticed, I have written both of my posts from mostly this perspective.  Ask yourself these questions:
         - Does it have a strong grabber?
         - Does it have a good cliffhanger at the end of most chapters?
         - Is it unpredictable?
         - Does it have questions that make you want to finish the book?
         - Would this book stand out to me in the library or at a bookstore?
         - Would I stay into this book?

6. Read other books that you don't want to put down.  A lot of writers tell you to read, read, and read.  You can add me to that list.  I think that you can get so much advice from other published authors and their books.  Analyze the book using the same questions.  Learn from authors who have already mastered the craft of writing.

Well, that's all!  I hope you enjoyed the 2 part post!  Tell me how you liked it in the poll to the right!  Thank you XD

- Mickayla