Monday, June 1, 2015

The Key to Writing Faster

Today is my blogiversary!!!  Pencils Can Change the World is 1 year old.  Happy Birthday!

Okay, so I know I haven't posted very much lately, but I have a good excuse.  School.  I have been working hard to finish up the year and now I am finally done.  Hopefully, the extra spare time will help me post and write more.

Real quick, before I get into writing faster, I want to say, that I did win Camp NaNoWriMo (Super delayed results, right?).  Yes, I do realize it is June and camp was in April, but I just haven't gotten to say it until now.  Also, I am planning on doing another Camp NaNo in June, just on my own, since I will be on vacation half of July.

Now, on to my post.  Writing faster can be super helpful.  Your can get more words in a word war, which lengthens your story, which makes you finish yoru first draft faster.  Quite a plus, right?



Well, to be honest, I used to be a very slow writer.  In 10 minutes, I could write 150 words.  I couldn't set a really high word goal for NaNo because I didn't have that much time to spend.  That is when I read a post on another blog somewhere (I forget which blog this was).  Here are a couple tips I used for doubling my word count from 150 words to 300+ words in just ten minutes.

1. If you don't type "correctly", I would definetely suggest learning to type without looking at your keys.  This not only saves lots of time, but can help you with my second tip.

2. When you are typing out yor story, don't worry about typos.  Don't even look at your computer-screen or keys.  Look off into the distance.  Whether out a window, at a painting, or even closing your eyes.  After much practice, this can help you focus more on the scene (or even feel like you are in the scene) than the actual typing of it.  Tip: I usually go back after the word war and change the typos I may have done after each word war.

3. Don't worry about how cheesy the sentence may sound.  All of those dumb lines or cheesy, unexplained, dreadful sentences can be changed in editing. 

4. Another thing that helps me is planning out my scene in my head before writing it out.  This gives me a general idea before I start the word war, so I don't have to pause in the middle to figure out what happens next.

I really hope this helps!  I am also going to put a poll up so you can tell me how much these techniques helped you.  

One more thing before I close this post.  Jill Williamson, a published author, is looking for youth artists to enter into a contest.  The prize is one of your illustrations in her new published book, RoboTales: Tinker.  For more information, visit http://jillwilliamson.com/robotales-tinker-contest/.