Monday, June 8, 2015

The Writing Process: On Each Step

The writing process is very familiar to every writer.  There are three basic steps: planning, drafting, and editing.  Today, I am going to talk about the steps and what I do when.  You may do it differently, and that is fine, I am just sharing how I take the process.  Remember, every writer is unique!

1. Planning.  Okay, let's talk planning.  I would say it is one of my favorite parts of the whole writing process.  This is where your plot idea really comes into shape.  It finally gets out of your head and onto paper. 

I usually do two stages of planning.  On before starting the first draft, and another before editing.  First, I will talk about the planning before writing the first draft.

After I have the idea semi-formulated in my head, I bring it out on paper.  I basically write down a paragraph about basic plot and what is going to happen.  I just use MC for Main Character and villain at this stage.  Then, I take it to the next level.  I make a basic outline.  I use the Three-Act Structure, which I read about from Go Teen Writers (If you want to know more, go here).  For Galaxy Connectors, I even went as far to make a graph of it (This part isn't necessary,, I just did it for the visual aid).  I evaluate what I have done so far, and make appropriate changes.  There are still "holes" in the outline, where I can let my imagination run wild in the 1st draft.  This also keep me more into the story while I am writing. 

Now, that I have an outline, I do world-building and character development.  I won't go too much into detail on these.  Maybe in another post.

After that, I say I am pretty much done with the first planning stage.

2. Drafting.  In drafting, I would follow my basic outline.  As I mentioned earlier, I would fill in the holes in the outline.  The most important thing to remember when drafting is that it doesn't have to be perfect.  It is just the backbone of the story.  There will be flaws, chinks, and mistakes.  I look at drafting as a 50,000 word outline.  A very detailed outline. 

3. Editing.  This is where the real writing happens.  Although, this is the step that a lot of writers dread.  So, first I would read through your story first draft once or twice and take notes as you go.  This will help you know what major things to address.  This isn't for grammar or spelling.  I am talking about plot issues.  Maybe your MC does something totally out of character, or something happens that just doesn't work with the plot.  Then, you want to go back and fix those changes.  Also, if your world needs more detail or something, you can plan a little more.  Then, you can go back and fix grammar errors and perfect (or almost) your book. XD

Please vote in my poll on the right and tell my how you like this post!

 - Mickayla <3