Saturday, January 23, 2016

A New Art Series // Adult Coloring

Art is about experimenting.  The only way you will become a better artist is by trying new things and making mistakes.  Through your mistakes, you learn new things and an broaden your range as an artist.  Over the past couple months, I have experimented with two different kinds of artwork.  When I first started drawing, I stuck with a very small range of objects to sketch.  I wanted my work to turn out perfect.  I didn't want to experiment.  I thought that because I couldn't draw something perfect the first time, I would never be able to draw it.  But, the truth is, you are never going to sketch something perfect the first time.  Yes, some of art is talent.  Most of it is practice.  Practice, practice, practice.  If you aren't good at drawing people (like me), keep drawing people.  You will never get better if you don't start practicing.  One of my goals over the past year or so is to try new kinds of artwork.  Well, I have already tried two new things.


After writing some of this out, I realized how long this post would be if I made it all into one.  I will be splitting this up into three parts, with one new kind of art in each.


Adult Coloring

This is like the new big thing.  I am serious.  One of my cousins introduced me to this over Thanksgiving, and I pretty much fell in love with it.  It gave me a chance to work with colors and just color.  I didn't have to worry about if this line was perfect, I just grabbed some pencils and designed.  I played with the colors, blending and shading.  I let my imagination take over and before I knew it, I had a colorful design.  The coloring was a care-free look-back at when I was little and colored (or scribbled) outside the lines.

Getting Started: This one is pretty simple.  All you need is two things.  Something to color and something to color with.  You should be able to find both of these around your house.  

What to Color: Thanks to the internet, finding a sheet to color is simple.  There are millions of free online printable coloring pages.  I linked some of my favorite coloring sheets below.


These are just a few that I really like, but there are so many other options.  If you search on "free adult coloring" on Pinterest, you can find just about any coloring page you could think of.

Also, you can find tons of adult coloring books at any art store.   I got one for Christmas with several different animals (more animals...).  Once again, you can find almost any different kind of coloring book.  Flowers, animals, mandalas, doodles, etc.

Another form of coloring pages are through apps.  I personally haven't colored on an app, but I know someone who has, and they really enjoy it.  This is a good option if you are on the road or don't have pencils and paper with you.  Here are a couple apps that were recommended to me.

What to Color With: Again, there are so many options.  There are crayons, colored pencils, colored pens, and markers.  My personal favorite are colored pencils, because of the texture and the accuracy of the pencils.  But, here is my opinion of all of the different coloring utensils.


Crayons

Pros: These crayons are an inexpensive way to get bold color with a good texture.  Crayola, for example, has dozens of colors, so there is so much variety to choose from.
Cons: Crayons are tough to sharpen, and take a firm hand to make an even distribution of color.  Also, they are difficult to make a precise mark.  If you are doing a very detailed coloring page, crayons can be difficult.

Colored pencils

 Pros: Quality colored pencils can run a little more expensive than crayons, but they are very nice.  Super easy to sharpen, and accurate.  With colored pencils, shading and blending is simple.  Playing around with these are super easy.  The pencils I used are on the right.
Cons: Colored pencils aren't the greatest for large areas because they get dull very fast.



Colored Pens

Pros: These are great for outlines, shading, and details.  My favorite pens for these are the Staedler Fineliner Pens, on right.  They have a consistent line, and a fine tip.
Cons: These can bleed.  Other than that, I don't have any other complaints.

Markers

Pros: Markers make a smooth line with barely any texture if any.  
Cons: Markers can easily overlap and cause an unrealistic look.  They can also bleed through the paper.